The requirements of religion are all about control. The opposite of that, is a personal relationship with Jesus.
The LDS Church does not allow members to examine any financial records.
LDS members are required to put their trust in the Church leaders and their decision not to disclose the Church’s finances.
Tithing is Essential for membership
Tithing is like a celestial investment plan. LDS President Brigham Young said “The law of tithing is an eternal law.” (Discourses of Brigham Young, p. 177)
List of companies owned by the LDS church under the corporate name Deseret Management Corporation. (Because these business’ are all under the non-profit church entity they do not have to pay taxes.)
- Bonneville International – Media holding company
- Bonneville Communications – Full service marketing firm.
- Bonneville Broadcasting – Radio stations
- 97.3 FM KIRO Radio Seattle
- 710 AM ESPN Seattle
- 770 AM KTTH Seattle
- 92.3 FM KTAR News Phoenix
- 98.7 FM Arizona Sports Phoenix
- 620 AM ESPN Phoenix
- 101 FM KOSI Denver
- 98.5 FM KTGO Denver
- 104.3 FM KKFN Denver
- 1600 AM KEPN Denver
- 102.7 FM & 1160 AM KSL Salt Lake City
- 103.5 FM KRSP Salt Lake City
- 0.3 FM KSFI Salt Lake City
- Bonneville Distribution – Distribution for TV & radio stations that broadcast Mormon Tabernacle Choir and LDS General Conference
- KSL 5 TV – NBC TV station
- Deseret Digital Media – Website management company
- Deseret News Publishing – News publishing company
- Deseret Book Co. – Religious goods retailer and distributor
- Covenant Communications
- Seagull Book & Tape
- Shadow Mountain Press
- Excel Entertainment
- The Pacific Business News – News outlet servicing Hawaii
AG Reserves – Agricultural holding company
- AgriNorthwest (Washington) – 60,000 acre farm growing potatoes and wheat
- Boardman Tree Farm (Washington) – 25,000 acre tree farm
- Winnecook Ranch (Montana) – 50,000 acre cattle ranch and dry farm
- Sheridan Ranches (Wyoming) – Information unavailable
- South Valley Farms (California) – Grows almonds and pistachios
- Deseret Farms (California) – Grows walnuts and prunes
- Deseret Land & Lifestock (Utah) – Approx. 200,000 acres cattle & sheep ranch
- Elberta Valley Ag (Utah) – 160 acre dairy cow ranch
- Rex Ranch (Nebraska) – 228,000 acre cattle ranch
- Deseret Cattle Feeders (Kansas) – Information unavailable
- Sooner Cattle Company (Oklahoma) – 50,000 – 70,000 acre cattle ranch
- Triangle Ranch (Texas) – 120,000 acre ranch
- Deseret Ranches (Florida) – 300,000 acre cattle ranch
- Unknown Name – 383,000 acre timber ranch
- Trail Creek and Livestock (Montana) – Information unavailable
- Sun Ranch (Wyoming) – Provides greater access to Martin’s Cove
- Deseret Ranches of Alberta – 100,000 acre cattle ranch
- Deseret Ranches – 66,000 acre cattle ranch
- Deseret Farms of Texas – 10,000 acre farm
- Hawaii Reserves – Hawaii real estate holding company
- Laie Water Company – Provides water to all of Laie
- Laie Shopping Center – 72,000 square feet of shopping and services
- Laie Park – Laie Hawaii park
- Laie Cemetery – Laie cemetary
- Hukilau Beach Park – Beach park in Laie
- Many other commercial & residential properties
• Property Reserve Inc – Real estate holding company
- Utah Property Management Associates – Real estate management company
- Commercial Properties:
- Beneficial Tower – 20 story office building
- World Trade Center – 366,696 square foot office building
- Deseret News Building – 9 story office building
- Eagle Gate Plaza – 11 story office and parking structure
- Key Bank Tower – 27 floor office building
- Social Hall Plaza – 6 floor office building
- Triad Tower – 3 buildings totaling 48,502 square feet
- Zions Bank Building – 18 floor commercial office building
- 139 E South Temple – 38,192 square foot office building
- JC Penney Building – 15 floor commercial office building
- Ensign Plaza South – 75,000 office building in Ogden Utah
- Regent Street – 47,970 square foot office building
- Orpheum Office Plaza – 24.682 square foot office building
- McIntyre Building – 11,065 square foot office building
- Gateway Tower West – 19 floor commercial building
- 40 East 100 South – 37,089 square foot office building
- Deseret Book Building – 48,612 square foot office building
- Brigham Apartments – Apartment building in downtown Salt Lake
- Colonial Court Apartments – Apartment building in Ogden Utah
- Eagle Gate Apartments –
- Gateway Condominiums
- City Creek Landing – Apartment building in downtown Salt Lake
- West Temple Apartments – 8 story apartment building in downtown Salt Lake
- Garden Apartments – Apartment building in downtown Salt Lake
- First Avenue Apartments – Apartments in Salt Lake City
Mixed Use Properties
- City Creek Center – 700,000 square foot mall in downtown Salt Lake
- Lake Park Corporate Centre – 260 acrea mixed use development
- Highbury at Lake Park – Mixed use development in West Valley, Utah
- Shoal Creek Valley (Liberty, Missouri)
- 1600 Vine Street Complex – Mixed use development in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Temple Square Hospitality (Catering Company)
- Beneficial Financial Group (Insurance and Financial Services Company)
In Mormonism, tithing is part of the duties of sacrifice and consecration members are to follow.
“…for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming.”
“…those who gather unto the land of Zion shall be tithed of their surplus properties, and shall observe this law, OR they shall NOT be found worthy to abide among you.”
Fear is often used as a motivator to get Mormons to pay a full tithing.
We believe it is a law and commandment of God.
LDS members are called into tithing settlement at the end of the year to meet with their Bishop and be reminded to settle any unpaid tithes.
If tithing was a New Testament law, shouldn’t it be considered a gift rather than an obligation as the LDS Church teaches?
Nowhere in the New Testament is such giving regulated in the form of tithing. God does not expect a specific amount or percentage. Nowhere under the New Covenant does God threaten believers with the fires of judgment, if they fail to pay a tithe or even neglect to give money or offerings of any amount. God is a generous, giving God, and his people SHOULD be generous, giving people. Tithing is not a mark of true Christianity.
Article Bible References
Deuteronomy 12:6, 11, 17
LDS Church Teaches:
Tithing is Essential for membership.
Those who do not pay tithing rob God.
Those who tithe will not burn.
Tithing is required to build LDS temples.
Those who don’t pay tithing are not worthy.
The Bible Teaches:
Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth of the spoils of war – not a tenth of all his personal possessions or increase.
Under Mosaic Law tithes were paid to the Levites as they served in the tabernacle/temple.
Tithing as a commandment is not found in the New Testament.
Christ fulfilled the law, making mandatory tithes obsolete.
Cheerful freewill giving comes from the heart.